Thursday, January 6, 2011

50s Housewife Revisited - semi-homemade

I want to be like a 50s housewife.  Yes, I fully admit that even though I'm sure many women will cringe at the fact that I say that, but I really do.  I say "like" that because I realize that times of changed and all that once was as far as roles of men and women and homemakers has completely changed and will, obviously, never go back.  I can't say that I would want to be considered a second class citizen as women used to be or that I want to live in my husband's shadow...those aspects of life for women back them aren't something I care to revisit.  But the simplicity of the time and the true homemaker role women played I have great respect for.

I have a new favorite foodie television personality....Sandra Lee of Semi-Homemade.
(picture from here)

She takes some of the modern world and mixes it up with the old-fashioned mentality of true entertaining and being a proud hostess and homemaker.  She says that she learned many of her ways from her grandmother and, in my opinion, her grandmother taught her well.  I just joined a group called the "semi-homemakers" on her site.  At least,  I think I joined LOL  I believe the site is under some construction so I might have to revisit it another day to be sure, but I am hoping to be able to contribute some of my own ideas there.

I think that Sandra is what a 50s housewife nowadays would be like.  She is always dressed beautifully, usually to match the theme of the meal or party she is working on.  She speaks very eloquently and is very well educated.  She just seems to me to love what she does and takes great pride in entertaining.  But it very much matters to her how things are presented, how things should flow and work together, and how she always manages to tie it all up at the end as if her show is a neat little package just waiting to be opened by the viewer.  She makes wonderful meals that are very easy to prepare but look and taste like you have sent hours and hours fussing in the kitchen.  She always shows appetizers, a main course, a dessert, and a cocktail to accompany every "theme" or idea she has for a dinner or a party.  She always shows a magnificent tablescape so that you feel like you are dining in some snazzy restaurant or wedding reception.  But to me, she ties everything in together and makes every meal an event, not just a meal.  I hope I'm making sense.  That's the only way I can describe it.  I have gotten some wonderful ideas from her and would someday like to be that type of a hostess and homemaker.  She just amazes me with her gift for entertaining.  Check her out on Food TV or on her website...

http://webmag.semihomemade.com/index.htm

You can click a link to become part of the semi-homemakers club and she has links to food, tablescapes, etc. and you can see for yourself how amazing her style is.  So yes, I'm a huge Sandra fan and am always trying her ideas.  I will have to post about them as I try more of them!  :-)

Brightest Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment